Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The mission of the Airbnb Global Safety and Security (S&S) organization is to foster a safe, secure, and healthy workplace to enable our employee community to focus on creating a world where anyone can belong anywhere. The Global Threat Assessment Manager will keep our employees and our operations safe while contributing to and protecting our company culture and global community - our employees, hosts, guests and stakeholders.
The Global Threat Assessment Manager will conduct threat assessments by analyzing, evaluating, disseminating and maintaining information about individuals, groups and activities that pose a potential threat to Airbnb employees, facilities, events, and our global community. Additionally, this role will contribute to various intelligence products and support Airbnb’s Insider Threat, Workplace Violence Prevention, and Global Threat Assessment Programs.
This position reports directly to the Global Risk Assessment and Threat Investigations Manager within the Global Safety and Security organization.
- Lead threat assessment investigations, create products and conduct briefings that provide clear, concise, behavior-based conclusions to support and inform the executive decision-making process for the management and/or mitigation of threats.
- Develop and analyze threat assessment and intelligence reporting. Produce actionable threat analysis products in a timely manner to inform executive protection and enterprise-wide security operations. Consolidate and report key threat assessment metrics monthly, quarterly and annually as required.
- Facilitate protecting Airbnb assets through proactive intelligence reporting, information sharing, and partnering with Global Safety & Security professionals and cross-functional partners within the Airbnb enterprise.
- Research open source intelligence (OSINT) on social media platforms, deep/dark websites, law enforcement databases, judicial databases, and other forums to identify or monitor known and/or potential threats or individuals capable of impacting executive staff, employees or the global Airbnb community.
- Create internal information bulletins (BOLOs) on individuals or groups affecting Airbnb protected interests, including facilities, events and persons.
- Identify, investigate, analyze, and manage threats to executive staff, employees and the global Airbnb community:
- Directly support internal employee and/or workplace violence investigations.
- Directly support investigations related to threats that occur within our Airbnb community.
- Directly support person of interest investigations (POI) with a direction of interest (DI) towards Airbnb assets
- Establish and maintain partnerships cross functionally across the Airbnb enterprise to assess Airbnb’s methodology of managing threatening incidents and to exchange threat information to reduce and minimize risks to the global Airbnb community.
- Gather and analyze data to facilitate improvements in the methodologies, tools and techniques to enable the team to scale and optimize operations to mitigate potential risk.
- Incorporate data and information into training material and finished products to establish learning objectives, validate instructional materials, outline final objectives and evaluate overall effectiveness and quality of cross-functional stakeholder training.
- Manage Global Safety and Security team relationships with local law enforcement partners and other investigative, research, and intelligence groups and vendors.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of threats toward Airbnb.
- Remain current and conversant with threat assessment processes.
- Maintain global situational awareness of potential and developing threats and prepare impact analyses for cross functional stakeholders.
- Conduct and manage background investigation processes for hiring, promotion, and retention of individuals
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 8+ years experience executing a comprehensive behavior-based threat management program and direct experience conducting investigations, intelligence collection and analysis, and case management
- Mastery of open source research and online investigative techniques
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to think strategically and translate to tactical operations
- Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of variables while meeting quality, timeliness, and cost requirements.
- Ability to sometimes work non-traditional hours (e.g. nights, weekends, and holidays) and potentially respond to emergent or time-sensitive situations
- Experience working with globally dispersed teams and managing vendor relationships.
- Must be highly adaptable and flexible
- A positive attitude and hunger for learning necessary
- Ability to build partnerships and work collaboratively and cross-functionally
- Creative and entrepreneurial
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Demonstrated commitment to Airbnb’s core values
- Current member (or ability to become a member) of professional threat assessment organizations (i.e. Association of Threat Assessment Professionals (ATAP), National Association for Behavioral Intervention and Threat Assessment (NABITA))